Sunday, March 14, 2010

Flagstaff







We drove in from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, AZ.
Nick hadn't been back to Flag since graduating and for me it had been at least 5 years. We met with Nick's Dad, who we hadn't seen in 9 years, at LaFonda. This Mexican food restaurant brings back so many good memories. We headed back to our hotel, Little America, and we all were out as soon as our heads hit the pillows. Little America is a hotel that was always out of reach for Nick and I. It was too expensive but a place I wanted to stay. It's not that it's overly nice even. It was just always out of our reach. My friend Joy, who lives in Flagstaff, invited us to stay with them. I told her thank you but we really want to stay at Little America just to cross it off the bucket list.
We drove Nicolas by Flagstaff hospital where Nicolas was born. He nodded his head, "that's nice." We drove by where we bought our GEO, where I spent many night drinking and Nick did a lot of not. We drove by the church that we got married at with Nicolas again nodding his head saying, "nice." We went to Mt View which was the dorm that Nick and I lived in. We also look over to the infamous "Fontaine" house. Yep it's still there. We both went to our respective greek "wings" and remembered lots of things. Nicolas got to see his famous picture up in the Gamma Phi wing when he was voted Gamma Phi Guy. This is where I then put, I saw so many Gamma Phi girls and they were so nice and respectful to me. That they gave me the grip and then asked what I'd been up to since being involved with the chapter for 7 years. I would put that right here but I can't........
It really wouldn't have bothered me so much if we hadn't gone up to the Sigma Chi wing. We were up there looking at the composite pictures as we had been a few minutes earlier in my old wing. Four guys came up to Nick introduced themselves, gave him the grip, asked what he'd been up to, how he was doing....... Are you kidding me?? Nick wasn't even in a composite picture because he was a little less involved than I was. He then rubbed it in that is hand hurt from shaking so many guys hands. yadayadayada.
We then left and stopped to surprise an old bank friend and then we were off to Joy's house for lunch. Joy was my Gamma Phi Mom and a great friend in college. I was at Maloney's when Joy went on her first date with Chad, her husband. I remember her telling me to not speak to Chad and to not do anything embarrassing because she might like this guy. I believe I did speak with Chad and he still married Joy so...
Joy has two kids, Natalie and Brett, and apparently her son and my daughter will be married in 30 years. Bells and Brett were sharing sippy cups one minute and then Bella is making weird noises. We look over and Brett is on top of her and they are totally kissing. Super cute, in my eyes. Nick was a little weirded out. We had lunch, caught up and headed out to Las Vegas for the last leg of our trip.
We had such a great time visiting memories that seem like they really happened yesterday and yet it was over 10 years ago when they began. Crazy!!!

No comments: